Ceiling fans are among the most important devices you should have in your home or office. They are used for cooling especially during the summer or those hot sunny days. Unlike other fans, ceiling fans comes with long blades which are driven by a powerful motor. These blades help to distribute cool air throughout the room.
Apart from that, ceiling fans enhance the appearance of your living room or office due to their attractive design. Some of them comes with extra features like LED lights which gives your room a stylish look. In this article, Riya, an expert in home appliances and co-founder of EnergyConversionDevices.com outlines some of the things you should check when searching for the best ceiling fan.
- Size of the room- Before you invest in a ceiling fan, you need to consider the size of your rom. If you are intending to install the fan in a large room, you need to ensure that it is very powerful. You need to know that some ceiling fans are suitable for small rooms, large rooms or medium rooms. In case you are still not sure which size suits your room, you should consider the following.
Large rooms– If your room has a measurement of over 300 square feet, you should look for a fan with 62 inches blades
Standard– Standard rooms are those with a measurement of between 150 to 300 square feet. The best fans for these rooms should have 52-60 inches blades.
Medium [100 to 150 Square Feet] – Medium rooms requires blades with a measurement of 44 to 50 inches.
Small rooms– These are rooms which are less than 80 square feet. You should consider 24-42 inches blades for small rooms.
- Rotation Per Minute[RPM]- This refers to the speed in which the motor spins. The fastest motors provide better airflow which means that they are the best for cooling. A standard motor rotates at a speed of 2000 RPM while some larger models are able to rotate at a speed of 8000 RPM. If you have a small room, you should look for a fan with a low RPM. The only problem with fans with a high RPM is that they are very noisy. Therefore, they are not suitable for offices or bedrooms.
- CFM Rating- This refers to the volume of air supplied by the fan at high speeds. Ceiling fans with the highest CFM rating provides the best airflow. These fans are also driven by powerful motors which enables them to circulate cool air throughout the room.
- Design– Ceiling fans come with different features which enhances their appearance. This means that you need to compare the available designs to ensure that the one you have picked will match well with your home décor. The most attractive ceiling fans are a bit expensive but they are worth it since you can use them for many years.
- Blades- Ceiling fan blades are made of metals, wood or plastic. In terms of durability, metallic blades are the best. They are also more stylish as compared to the plastic ones. However, plastic and wooden blades provide an excellent performance due to their lightweight design.
- Height of the ceiling – The height of the ceiling is something you should not ignore for safety reasons. You need to ensure that the fan is at a suitable height which allows you to walk around without worrying about the spinning blades. There should also be enough space between the floor and the fan.
- Installation – Most ceiling fans are very easy to install. They also come with clear instructions on how to install. If you have never installed a ceiling fan before, you are likely to experience some problems especially when connecting them with the main electrical systems. This means that you need to look for a professional electrician if you are not sure how to connect the fan. You also need to check the type of mount that comes with the fan to ensure that it is compatible with the ceiling.
- Control– Older ceiling fans are controlled using a traditional pull cord but most modern fans comes with a remote control. This makes them easier to control as compared to the older models.
- Price – Ceiling fans comes with different prices depending on the quality, features and materials used. Therefore, you need to compare the features and the price to determine the one that will give you the best value for your money.
- Warranty– The warranty period of a fan may help you to determine its quality- Ceiling fans with a long warranty are the best because you are guaranteed that you will get assistance in case of any problem.
Your living room or office will not be complete without a ceiling fan. These fans help to circulate cool air within the room to enhance your comfort during hot sunny days. They also enhance the style of the living room due to their stylish design. The only problem you are likely to encounter is finding a good ceiling fan due to the numerous products available on the market today. If you are not careful, there are high chances that you might end up with a low quality fan. However, we have outlined all the things that you should check to make your work easier when buying. Happy Shopping!